December 15, 2019: Episode 21 | Speaking of Goals
The message that sparked the conversation ... Love Is Enough.
What’s your greatest goal? Can you summarize it in a few sentences? That’s our focus today as we discuss Matthew chapter 22 and the command to love our neighbor.
- Introduce yourself and share a goal you've accomplished, are working on, or are considering. Why was/is this goal important to you?
- How often do you think/talk about long-range goals? How far out do you plan?
- Picture someone who is younger than you, who looks up to you. If they asked, "What's your lifetime goal?"—what would you say?
- How does the "greatest commandment" given by Jesus in Matthew 22:35-40 guide, adjust, or reinforce your goal(s)?
- God sends his people into four settings, or "spheres"—household, occupation, society, and congregation. Of those four spheres, which is requiring your focus in this season of life? Why?
- In his book Loved and Sent, Jeff Cloeter mentions five "habits of love"—being present, listening, sacrificing, risking, and praying for others (pages 136-42). Which of these habits will best serve the need in that sphere of your life?
- What do you get to know more deeply about Jesus by his answer to the lawyer's question (Matthew 22:35-40)?
- How is this good news for you?