This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and there is one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time. 1 Timothy 2:3-6
This devotion is not an endorsement of the Affordable Care Act known as Obamacare, nor is it a condemnation of that same government offering. It is not a statement encouraging you to enroll, nor am I urging you to look elsewhere for insurance.
What this devotion is -- is a statement of facts.
* Fact 1 - Since 2013 when the program was first offered, millions of people have decided this was the way they should go.
* Fact 2 - According to the experts, premiums for the program are going to go up an average of 25 percent in 2017. Some places will see an increase of more than 50 percent.
* Fact 3 - Folks who are enrolled will also see their out-of-pocket deductibles take a sizable increase.
* Fact 4 - Since some insurance companies are opting out of the program because they have sustained some major financial losses; users of the program will not have as many choices of insurers.
In contrast to Obamacare stands the Christian faith, God's insurance plan to cure and save us.
Those who have been given faith in this plan will find that this year, like every year, nothing has changed. To prove the truth of that statement, I would like to point out the following:
1. Salvation has always been incredibly expensive. Indeed, so you and I might be saved, our Heavenly Father sent His Son into the world to offer His life for ours. Throughout His earthly years Jesus was misunderstood, misinterpreted and rejected. Numerous plots were hatched to kill Him and the last plan -- the one put into motion by the religious authorities -- succeeded in seeing Jesus whipped, crowned with thorns, and nailed to a cross.
2. Salvation has always been incredibly cheap. Actually, that statement is misleading. That's because although our rescue cost Jesus everything, our forgiveness and rescue has cost us absolutely nothing, which is a good thing since we sinners are completely unable to do anything that would help make us right with God.
3. Finally, unlike the federal healthcare program which tries to offer numerous insurance companies for us to choose from, if we want to be saved, there is, and has always been, only one way to go: Jesus. It is only through the Savior's Name and His work that we can be insured against eternal damnation.
So even though this devo doesn't speak to state-sponsored health programs, it most definitely speaks in favor of putting your eternal, spiritual health in the hands of the Savior who alone is God's plan to save your soul.
THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, I give thanks the health of my eternal soul is in Your hands. Grant that others may also be given a faith that trusts in the Savior who takes away the world's sins. This I ask in Jesus' Name. Amen.
In Christ I remain His servant and yours,
Pastor Ken Klaus
Speaker emeritus of The Lutheran Hour®
Lutheran Hour Ministries
To Download Devotion MP3 to your computer, right click here and select "Save Link As" or "Save Target As" or "Download Linked File As"