Call Us : +1 800 876-9880 (M-F 8am-5pm CST)

Bible header

Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries

"Aiding the Aging"

August 15, 2005

Email to a FriendPrint

I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread. Psalm 37:25

Research has indicated that, of persons over 85 years of age, some 20 percent are in nursing homes. Where do we find the other 80 percent? They are everywhere. Some live with their children in what is called three-generation families. Others live in their own houses or apartments, with or without assistance from others. Good health care has enabled many of the aging to care for themselves as they attain longer life spans.

Although the elderly, perhaps more today than in previous times, are better provided for, one has to keep in mind that their needs are more than physical. Their total well-being includes the social and spiritual aspects of life. Nothing can ever take the place of Christian love—love that the elderly receive and can extend to others. If involved in the exchange of love, they have the feeling that they are still in on things—in family circles, in community affairs, and in the mission of Christ’s church.

The Bible has much to say on the subject of showing consideration to people on the sidelines. What was said in the Old Testament still applies: “Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God” (Leviticus 19:32). Again: “Listen to your father, who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old” (Proverbs 23:22). And to the aging and ailing, God declares, “Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you” (Isaiah 46:4).

Certainly also the elderly, especially those in need, are our Lord’s brothers and sisters. When we serve them, we perform a ministry to Jesus Christ, who came among us to minister and to give His life as a ransom for us all.

PRAYER: Thank You, Lord God, for giving me life through my parents. Help me to love and respect them and all elderly people. Amen.

(Devotions from "With Jesus Every Day" copyright 1997, CPH. All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be printed, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without prior written permission of Concordia Publishing House. Permission is granted for one-time emailing of this link to a friend. For information on other devotional material, please contact CPH at 800-325-3040 or visit CPH at www.cph.org.)

Today's Bible Readings: 1 Chronicles 13-15    1 Corinthians 9

Change Their World. Change Yours. This changes everything.

Your browser is out-of-date!

You may need to update your browser to view LHM.org correctly.
Your current browser is no longer considered secure, and it is recommended that you upgrade. If you are running Windows XP or Vista, you may consider downloading Firefox or Opera for continued support. For questions, email us at lh_min@lhm.orgUpdate my browser now

×