February 14, 2021: Episode 82 | Speaking of Expectations
The message that sparked the conversation ... Shines and Saves.
Do you usually set your expectations high or are you prepared for the worst? Join us in a discussion about Mark chapter 9, anticipated results, and jaw-dropping surprises—both good and bad.
(1) Think of a time when you went into a new or unknown situation that ended up significantly exceeding your expectations. If you were to write a short story about that, what would the title be? Share your first name and the title of your "exceeded expectations" story. After everyone shares their name and title, tell us the short story.
(2) There's a proverb that comes out of recovery programs (e.g., AA, or Al-Anon) that says, "Expectations are premeditated resentments," or "Expectations are resentments waiting to happen." Are you more likely to agree with this statement or disagree? Why?
(3) On a scale of 1 to 10, how well do you manage your own expectations? Why?
(4) Mark chapter 9 records what's come to be called "The Transfiguration of Jesus." For Jesus' three disciples who got to see it, it was a moment that likely exceeded even their greatest expectations. As you listen to it, what's a word or a phrase that gets your attention?
After everyone shares their word or phrase, explain why that "got" you.
(5) Reflecting on this, what are you getting to know more deeply about Jesus?
(6) How is this good news for you?
(7) Coming away from this conversation, what do you want to say to people in your household, congregation, or neighborhood?