October 25, 2020: Episode 66 | Speaking of Boasting
The message that sparked the conversation ... No Boasting, Just Belonging.
Pride is sneaky. It creeps up slowly and begins to color our thoughts and actions. Before we realize it we are outright bragging. Join us in a conversation about the aspects of self-pride, false humility and boastful words.
- Share a specific game, activity, or other situation that brought out your boastful side.
- How would you define boasting or bragging? What are some of its social side-effects?
- Is there something that still brings out your boastful side? How do you handle this?
- Today, we're commemorating the Reformation by listening to The Letter to the Romans. Scholars who study this letter conclude that the church in Rome was divided. There was hostility between the Jewish and non-Jewish (Gentile) followers of Jesus—and also some unhealthy boasting, on both sides. The letter explains how God's righteousness unifies God's people. In other words, God shuts out our boasting for the sake of our belonging. As you listen to this section (Romans 3:9-31), what's a word or a phrase that stays with you?
- What do you get to know more deeply about Jesus and His Father through this part of the letter?
- How is this good news for you now?
- Reflecting on this, what do you want to say to people in your household, congregation, or neighborhood?