October 11, 2020: Speaking of Empathy
The message that sparked the conversation ... Unscaled Heights of Empathy.
Is there a relationship between cross-cultural experiences and empathy? How do they nudge our worldview? Join us in a conversation about Daniel chapter 2 and see what you think!
- Think of a cross-cultural experience you've had. If you were to tell a short story about that, think about what the title would be. After everyone shares their title, tell us the story.
- What are some benefits of cross-cultural experiences?
- Empathy could be defined as "stepping outside yourself and seeing things from another person's perspective, learning to feel what they feel."
How does empathy relate to cross-cultural experiences?
- In the Book of Daniel, we hear an account of four, young Jewish men having a cross-cultural experience in Babylon. Listen to Daniel chapter 2. What's a word or phrase that stays with you? After everyone shares their word or phrase, explain why it stayed with you.
- What do you get to know more deeply about the God and Father of Jesus in this account?
- How do you hear good news in this chapter?
- Reflecting on this, what do you want to say to people in your household, congregation, or neighborhood?