October 04, 2020: Speaking of Defeated
The message that sparked the conversation ... Victory in Defeat.
You’ve done your best, tried your hardest, but it didn’t work. You’re losing and there is nothing else you can do about it. Defeat is hard to swallow, but we’ve all been there. Let’s talk about it.
- Think of a time when you felt personally defeated. If you were to write a short story about that, what would the title be? After everyone has shared their title, tell us the short story ...
- As a group, North American Christians sometimes feel defeated—that Christians are "losing the culture war." When have you heard these feelings expressed? What is your reaction to this sentiment?
- The Book of Daniel begins with a literal defeat. A foreign army besieges the city of Jerusalem, confiscates priceless religious artifacts, and kidnaps the king along with many other prominent members of Judean society. Listen to Daniel chapter one and see if there's a word or a phrase that stays with you. Why did it stay with you?
- What do you get to know more deeply about the God and Father of Jesus through this?
- How is this good news for you?
- Reflecting on this, what do you want to say?