April 19, 2020: Speaking of Relapses
The message that sparked the conversation ... You Haven't Lost Me.
It’s only been a couple months since January, how have your New Year’s resolutions been going? Any relapses? Join us as we discuss character flaws, our inability to change direction, and what God does when our backs are up against the sea. Extra bonus: interview with co-founders of the Bible Project, Jon Collins and Tim Mackie!
- What was something you've given up for Lent at some point in the past?
- Do you have a bad habit (vice, character flaw) you've tried to eliminate, but keep relapsing?
- Why is it easier to notice bad habits, vices, and character flaws of others, rather than our own?
- Exodus chapter 14 narrates some significant relapses. After having sent the people of Israel out of his land, Pharaoh changes his mind about them, again. Pharaoh has now repented 6 times and relapsed 6 times. And he's not alone. God's people also relapse into fear, complaining, and mistrust of Moses and God (Ex 14:11-12). As you listen to this chapter, what was one word or phrase that stood out to you? Why that one?
- What do you get to know more deeply about the God and Father of Jesus through hearing this?
- Considering the larger Story of Scripture, how is there good news in this for you?
- Reflecting on this, what do you want to say to people in your household, church, or neighborhood?