December 01, 2019: Speaking of Self-Talk
The message that sparked the conversation ... Enough with the Self-Talk.
If people could hear your thoughts what would they learn about you? The one-sided conversation in your mind influence more than your words. This week we discuss self-talk and how it can shape your identity
- Introduce yourself with a 1-word description of your work experience.
- What experience do you have with "self-assessments" or "self-evaluation"?
- How does this compare to your "self-talk" (internal monologue)?
- How does your self-talk reflect (or shape) your sense of identity? (that is, "Who are you?")
- In Luke 18:9-14, Jesus tells a parable in which we overhear someone's self-talk. Listening to it, what stands out? Compare this to the "self-talk" in the Psalms (see Ps. 42:5, Ps. 103:1-5, Ps. 131).
- What do you get to know more deeply about Jesus through this parable?
- How is this good news for you?
- What do you want to say to people in your household, church, or community?