November 17, 2019: Episode 17 | Speaking of Sacrifice
The message that sparked the conversation ... The Dawn Wall.
What kinds of sacrifices have you made? What have you given up for the sake of something or someone else? This week we’ll talk about Abraham, Isaac, and the altar of sacrifice.
- Introduce yourself with your first name, and something you've given up (e.g., for Lent, or some other discipline)
- On most days, how do you feel about the idea of "delayed gratification"? Negative/positive/conflicted?
- If "sacrifice" is giving up something valuable in the present to attain something better in the future, when have you been compelled to make sacrifices?
- Genesis chapter 22 recounts one of the most-talked-about sacrifices in history. Listening to it, what stands out (interests, infuriates, raises questions, or otherwise gets your attention)?
- Through this, what do you get to know more deeply about the God "who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all"? (see Romans 8:32)
- What do you come to know more deeply about the God and Father of Jesus through this?
- What good news is there in this for you?
- What do you want to say to your household, church, or community?