October 20, 2019: Episode 13 | Speaking of Eyes
The message that sparked the conversation ... The Lamp of the Body.
Eyes can convey messages as well as receive them. Whether good or bad, the way we look at someone communicates what we think of them. This week we’ll consider the meaning of a glance.
- What color are your eyes?
- When was a time when someone influenced you with their eyes (with a look, a glance, or a gaze)?
- The "emission theory of vision" says that we see by sending out "rays" or "beams" from our eyes. This theory held for over a thousand years. Now it has been replaced by the "intromission theory," which says our eyes are only passive receivers of light. Why do you think the "emission theory" held sway for so long, and still feels compelling (e.g., a 2002 survey showed that 50% of college students thought their eyes emitted some sort of energy, or "vision" rays)?
- Genesis Chapter 16 says a lot about "eyes" and "seeing." As you listen, try seeing the events through the eyes of each of the human actors (Sarai, Hagar, Abram). What do you see from their perspectives if you put their actions in the best light on it? And the worst?
- What do you come to know more deeply about the God and Father of Jesus through this?
- How is this good news for you?
- What do you want to share about this with people in your household, church, or community?