The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the LORD are true, and righteous altogether. Psalm 19:8-9
All of us are philosophers who live according to certain rules. Although most of what follows hasn't been written down, I'd like to share some of my rules of life. I believe:
1. A newly washed window gathers dirt twice as fast as an unwashed window.
2. The ability to find a ballpoint pen is inversely proportional to how badly it is needed.
3. The same clutter that will fill a one-car garage will fill a two-car garage.
4. The number of doors open varies inversely with the outdoor temperature.
Lastly, having had teen-agers, I believe rule 5:
The capacity of any hot-water heater is equal to one and one-half showers. Probably, you could add your own rules of life.
There are some other rules of life that are not mine, that we should talk about. Those are God's rules, which say:
1. Although it doesn't make any sense for Him to do so, God loves us.
I also believe the second rule that states: 2. God cared enough about us to send His Son to take our place.
The last rule is just as true.
3. Those who believe in Jesus as Savior, gladly live their lives in thanksgiving to Him and in service to each other. These are rules of life, and I live by them. I encourage you to do so, as well. Because, as anyone can tell you. . .you can't change the rules of life.
From a devotion originally written for "By the Way"
THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, I know that Your commandments are pure and Your rules are true. I am putting my trust in You as I do my best to stay true to You and Your Will for my life. I gladly live my life in thanksgiving to You and in service to others. In Christ's Name, Amen.
In Christ I remain His servant and yours,
Pastor Ken Klaus
Speaker emeritus of The Lutheran Hour®
Lutheran Hour Ministries
To Download Devotion MP3 to your computer, right click here and select "Save Link As" or "Save Target As" or "Download Linked File As"