March 12, 2004Email to a FriendPrint
Today's Reading: John 8:42-59 & Psalm 46
He who belongs to God hears what God says. John 8:47
Shhhh—listen to God! Yes, we need this word of caution. You and I can, indeed, make enough noise to drown out the voice of God. How?
· By concentrating on the ways of God that are not understandable to us, trying to figure out why God does what He does and says what He says. We don’t understand, so we turn down the volume on what He is saying.
· By making His message “understandable.” We think long and hard on one of God’s “illogical” statements, then twist it around until we “understand” it. In so doing, however, we turn the meaning around and inside out.
· By accepting only “what is.” In our intellectualized society, we are taught to accept as true only what can be logically and scientifically proven. We give no thought as to whether our opinion really agrees with God's Word.
How then do we become listeners of God?
· By remaining in the company of His Son. Jesus lives now with and among us, drawing us to Him through the preaching of His Word and through His Sacraments.
· By hearing His voice. How? Through faithful church, Sunday school, and Bible class attendance, daily personal and family devotions, and regular Bible study.
God draws us to Him and we need to stay close to this quiet company of His. Shhhh—listen to God!
Almighty God, draw us to Your Word as faithful listeners so we may hear, learn, and take to heart all that You have taught us; in the name of Jesus Christ we pray. Amen.
Name one or two ways to increase your “listening time” with your Lord. Then start listening!