The LHM Mission:
Bringing Christ to the Nations—and the Nations to the Church
Lutheran Hour Ministries is a trusted resource in global media that equips and engages a vibrant volunteer base to passionately proclaim the Gospel to more than 136 million people worldwide each week. Through its North American headquarters and ministry centers on six continents, LHM reaches into more than 50 countries, often bringing Christ to places where no other Christian evangelistic organizations are present. LHM’s flagship ministry, The Lutheran Hour®, airs weekly on more than 1,800 radio stations and the American Forces Network.
We encourage those people who are reached through these ministry efforts to respond by contacting staff or volunteers. LHM then cultivates relationships with those who respond to ultimately facilitate a relationship between them and a Christian community, thus helping grow the kingdom of God.
- More than 136 million people hear or read the Gospel each week through LHM programs, services, or materials.
- More than 1 million listeners to The Lutheran Hour each week
- More than 800,000 individuals intentionally provide contact information for follow up in response to LHM’s culturally relevant outreach efforts.
- More than 57,000 individuals were referred last year to local Christian communities internationally for spiritual growth and nurturing;
- More than 22,000 individuals became engaged in a Christian community following their referral last year.
- Nearly 60,000 individuals participated for the first time in Bible Correspondence Courses offered by LHM’s International Ministry Centers.
- More than 94,000 individuals completed a ministry activity last year to more effectively share the Gospel with others.
- Individuals from more than 4,500 congregations of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod and Lutheran Church—Canada are using LHM resources.
It is God’s mission to rescue people who have become separated from Him, restore relationships with them and renew them for holy living and service to others. His message is simple: rescue, restoration and renewal are found only in Jesus.
In a world now characterized by dizzying change, God has called the Church to join Him in His mission and challenged it to make His message of hope known in today’s post-Christian culture.
At Lutheran Hour Ministries, we want to be your partner in calling back the lost and hurting—back to the Church; back to forgiveness and grace; back to God and His Word.
We have made it our mission to encourage and support you as you respond to God’s call to action. While you may know us because of our flagship radio ministry, The Lutheran Hour, we invite you to take advantage of everything that Lutheran Hour Ministries offers for discipleship and outreach: evangelism training events and resources; opportunities for hands-on international outreach; resource media and materials for men’s ministry; mission resources for children and schools; and much more.
The International Lutheran Laymen’s League and Lutheran Hour Ministries are the same organization. The official organization name is the International Lutheran Laymen’s League and the ministry of the organization is currently expressed through a wide range of Christ-centered outreach efforts under the name of Lutheran Hour Ministries. The organization’s business and financial affairs are overseen by a Board of Directors consisting of a chair, vice chair, and 12 directors as part of its governance structure.
Along with the Lutheran Women's Missionary League (LWML), the International Lutheran Laymen's League (Int'l LLL)/Lutheran Hour Ministries (LHM) is currently recognized as an official auxiliary of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) and Lutheran Church—Canada (LCC). The Church's auxiliary organizations extend the ministry and mission of the LCMS and LCC and play vital roles in helping them spread the Gospel message and win hearts for Christ.
As a recognized auxiliary, the Int'l LLL/LHM:
- Is national/international in scope and voluntary in membership and participation
- Identifies itself with The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod but is not a part of the Synod's constitutional structure
- Operates with freedom and self-determination as a ministry and is independent of the LCMS in its organization and administration, in the establishment and evaluation of its own objectives, activities and programs, and in financial matters, while complying with the responsibilities outlined in the Synod's bylaws
- Coordinates plans and programs with those of the LCMS through regular sharing and contact with representatives of those boards to which the Synod has assigned specific responsibilities (boards of the Synod will share with the auxiliaries in a similar manner)
- Is classified by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)(3) corporation
- And has membership made up of persons who are baptized members of LCMS or LCC congregations or congregations of one of their partner church bodies
The Int'l LLL/LHM receives no direct financial support from the budget of either the LCMS or the LCC and relies on gifts from its generous donors. It is currently recognized with the Best in America designation by the Independent Charities of America, one of only 2,000 charities nationwide to receive this honor.